Wednesday, March 21, 2007

yarn!




After waiting with bated breath (it actually only took a week for the package to get here from England, which is completely reasonably, but I was so excited that it felt like forever) I finally got my package from Posh yarn -- three skeins of the lace yarn (45% cashmere & 55% silk) in the middle. The color is "Sari"; in real life it's got more pink and orange than I was expecting, but it's absolutely beautiful. And soooo soft that I keep petting it.

It's destined to become a shawl from Victorian Lace Today. The shawl (p. 54) is called "Large Rectangle in leaf and trellis pattern with trellis border." Kind of a blah name, but a fabulous shawl, and I can't wait to get started. I'm (still) supposed to be grading papers; I'm holding off on starting until I've made more of a dent in them. I did wind up one skein into a ball last night so I could fondle it.

I also got two skeins of cashmere lace yarn called "Yesterday"; it's a dreamy blue-gray-purple color. It's got some very cool sections with more purple than you can see in the photo (on the right); an added little bonus. I've got a couple of possible patterns picked out, but (particularly at the rate I've been knitting lately) I'm going to wait until I've at least made a dent in the large rectangle.

The large rectangle will be my second shawl; I made Icarus last fall from IK using Misti Alpaca--what a great knit. I know that Mim put up some errata; I didn't notice any mistakes in the pattern (which says something about me, not the Mim's beautiful design!) and found it very easy to follow. I've knit some other smaller lace things--scarves and a socks, mainly, but I've never done a knit-on border, which the large rectangle (it really needs a prettier name!) has, so that's my new skill for this knit.

My new skill for blogging will be learning how to put the photos where I want them to go in the post, rather than at the top, which is where blogger keeps putting them.

No comments: