Saturday, April 14, 2007

On the needles

More lace!

I'm done with the center section of my
Large Rectangle. I went with 25 repeats instead of the 30 the pattern calls for, since it a) seemed long enough and b) I'm afraid that I'll run out of yarn before I run out of border.

Now I just need to figure out a border for it. The border that the pattern calls for is pretty, but takes more yarn than I actually have. I bought 1200 yards, which is what the pattern calls for, but completely ignored gauge and now am paying for that. I'm thinking about the willow border from the Myrtle Leaf Shawl on p. 142; I'll have to try a repeat, weigh the yarn, and see if I'll have enough. If not . . .

I'm sure I'll think of something.

In the meantime, I've started a new lace project, with this yarn:

Cashmere 2-ply, hand-dyed, also from Posh Yarn.

It's a birthday present for my college roommate. She came to my parents' for Easter--she lives in NYC; her mom lives in Ohio, my folks are in NJ and I was willing to go into the City and pick her up. So we picked out a pattern for the yarn--I wasn't sure if she'd want a square, or a rectangular shawl, or something else. The pattern is from (where else) Victorian Lace Today; the Alpine knit scarf with double rose leaf center pattern and diamond border (p. 36). Geez, what a mouth-full. From now one: Alpine lace.

I cast on last night, and have one repeat of the diamond border:

I have 800 yards; the pattern calls for 850. the nice thing about this pattern, though, is that the border is knit at the same time as the center, so I can finish the end, weight the yarn, knit until I have that much left, and then start the second end border.

I have another picture, but I can't figure out how to rotate it so it's right side up:


Any ideas?

In other news, I've joined Sockapalooza 4: my first knitalong.

No comments: