Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Aude Lang Syne

2008 is almost over. It was a mixed year for me--lots of good, peppered with a fair amount of bad (or at least difficult to deal with).

The Good:
  • I finally (finally!) finished my dissertation and managed to graduate.
  • As a result, I am now gainfully employed full-time. With dental, even!
  • And I'm teaching a course on Jane Austen this summer, also as a result.
  • G got several excellent grants which enable him to do his dissertation research (see, also, "The Bad").
  • I have a new nephew, who is fat and funny and smiley and completely adorable.
  • Nephew-the-elder is also funny and smiley and completely adorable, albeit in a much skinnier fashion.
  • Nephew-the-elder continues his love of hand-knit socks.
  • My friends and family enjoy (mostly) good health and happiness.
  • There has been lots of knitting.
  • I got to go to Poland where I fed the birds (and squirrels) and see the salt mine.
The Bad:
  • G's grants required him to spend the fall semester in Poland.
  • Miscarriage #3, right before said trip to Poland.
  • Too much time apart from G, which makes me sort of blah about everything.
But on the whole, more good than bad.

On the knitting front, this year I finished:
  • 1 sweater (Ramona)
  • 6 pairs of socks (4 of them for nephew-the-elder)
  • 1 baby blanket
  • 1 pair of Fetchings
  • 1 cowl
  • 2 hats
  • 3 Elefantes
  • 8 lace projects, including my favorite: Madli's Shawl
Of course, there were any number of false starts, as well, but I'm not counting them.

We had a bit of a snow storm today, so our New Year's Eve plans are lots of hors d'oevres from Trader Joe's, along with a couple of movies--I'm thinking Iron Man to start. Of course, that's our plan every New Year's Eve, so the storm really didn't change much. :)

Happy New Year's to everyone--I hope 2009 will be a wonderful year for everyone.

No comments: