Friday, June 13, 2008

Summer of Lace warm-up

I've joined the Summer of Lace Knitalong (Ravelry Group here). The official start date is June 21, but in the meantime, I'm warming up with some nupps:


Madli's Shawl, by Nancy Bush, from IK Summer 2004. Size 4 needles (knitpicks Harmony interchangables). The yarn is a Baby Camel laceweight from School Products, in NYC; I bought it about a year ago and have been looking for the right pattern for it. Raveled here.

I've gone down a needle size from the pattern, since I tend to get widely open lace when I use the recommended sizes; I'm happy with the way it looks. (I also tend to run out of yarn that way.) I'm on the 9th (out of 31) repeat of the body; so far, the nupps are going remarkable well and have been surprisingly easy. I'm not sure if I'm just getting the hang of them, or if the Harmonies are simply sharp enough to make it simple. Either way, I'm just going to enjoy the ride.

I really like this pattern--I saw it on Ravelry almost as soon as I joined (13 months ago today!), and spent several months searching for a copy of the Summer 2004 IK so I could knit it. I managed to purchase one from a fellow Raveler, via the ISO/Destash board, and I'm glad I did.

My mother also really liked this pattern when I showed her the shawl, so (even though she's been telling me for years that she really doesn't want a shawl, she doesn't know where or when she'd use it, blah blah blah) this may wind up as a present for her rather than for me. We'll see how it turns out.


In other knitting news, I'm almost done with a pair of socks--just one toe left to graft. Eventually I'll take pictures. My Pi Shawl is waiting for a good blocking; the size and shape makes that more of a challenge than I'd realized when I first started. The heat wave is over, though, so maybe there will be more knitting soon.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Happy Friday the 13th, by the way! It's Colgate Day, although I'm not wearing any Colgate gear.

No comments: